Sure, why not, let's juggle a couple of projects at once...

So, since I still can't decide whether or not I want to add battle damage to my battleship, and since it hasn't dried up enough outdoors to get a good dry primer spraying day down on some other projects, I got started on my next large BFG vessel.

Below you'll find my WIP Vengeance prow alternative. I based her off of the Repulsive's prow with some modifications. She's .75 inches wide at her base, .5 inches wide at the top, and .25 inches deep. I built out a framework on Monday, filled her in with putty on Tuesday, and then with a hobby knife I trimmed the excess out and sanded it down to get my dagger shape when I got home tonight (the alternative was to repeat my hour of playing with obscure angles and plasticard lengths from Monday, which honestly, was not getting me anywhere. At all.) So far tonight, I've started adding the trim (so you can actually see her lines), and shaped the spine that I'll be using as a guide on the top to get that acute sloping Chaos prow effect.


The next photo will show you what it looks like at this stage, plugged into the Retaliator's prow slot. I plan to bring the prow up from the upper trim in a pair of shallow angles, which will reach that upper metal bit and stop, and in this ship's case, I plan on using some more plastic strip to drape the arms of a massive chaos star over that area a la BFG core rulebook artwork. the long sloping prow sections I will in this case finish smoothing and then drill to fit numerous antennae into in order to represent the +1 Ld sensor probe upgrade from the BFG:R Chaos fleet list (although I may not use it in every game).


This is mainly a proof of concept build. If it works, well, I have a few more hulls to do something similar with, although I think I might try for a differently-shaped prow for my Imperial Vengeance hulls.

Next steps:
1) build up the upper surface of the prow to a pointed edge;
2) start on the superstructure beneath the prow (bring it down similar to the Vengeance and Repulsive prows, add a couple of close defense turrets, bring the keel slightly forward onto it)
3) upper deck trim work (Chaos star), drill and mount antennae and sensor probes, add some gribbly squares and bits similar to Imperial ship prows to help hybridize the design
4) fill in that square gap between the prow and the hull, add some plating, and gribbly it up so it looks legit.

Comments